Renegade Cruisers

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Calendar   Music   Chat  Gallery   Games   Links   Blogs   Wx   About     Map     Sunset Cruise  

Post subject: Outside looking in...
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am 
Renegade

:shock: Being outside the land of the "free" the USof A. I find it kind of remarkable that in the Bahamas, Turks, Caicos and DR (Dominican Republic) supposinly non-free third word places, there are less laws, few police, way less crime and no government agencies hasseling you. No marine Patrol beating on your hull to ummm give a "safety check" at 2 AM with guns drawn. No being pulled over in your boat by coasties or police or gestapo marine enforcers, all again with guns. In PR (Puerto Rico) a US territory they can and will stop you again with guns and search for drugs contraband and illegals if you are within 6 miles of their coast. 90% of those stopped are citizens. Being hassled and harrassed by their own government. Of course they are "free". How come the "non-free" peoples of the Bahamas & DR aren't hassled by their Government? Their laws are not restrictive in the sense that you can't buy a beer on Sunday morning or can't walk down the street drinking one. Funny I'm seeing lots MORE freedom outside the US than I saw inside its walls. Is it me or has anyone else noticed? In the Bahamas, there is viortually no crime, except in Nassau where cruise ships and tourists bring USA ways intio the place. Most islands I've been to in the Bahamas don't even HAVE cops or poilice. People leave doorsa unlocked.People are friendly. Hitchikers get rides and are NOT seen as threats. What am I missing here? I'm beginning to see that perhaps all the propaganda of being "free" is just that. What do YOU think? Davit de pirate

Post subject: Re: Outside looking in...
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:59 pm 
Renegade

No its not just you. I have noticed it in a big way as well. Looking at it from another point of view, how many out there belong to homeowners associations where you cant even change the oil in your own car in your own yard on your own land? When I was in Thailand where I plan on retiring in my Wifes small town I saw 3 large homes being built and I asked her what kind of permits they might need to build their homes. These were 3-4 room houses CBS construction with wood (teak) upstairs. Her response was a confused look saying . . . .

"Why would they need a permit it's their land?"

She keeps talking of things she can do to make money when she gets here, things she could easily do back home or even in Bangkok and I have to keep telling her "no you can't do that without a special permit or liscense which wil be very difficult to get"

As I see it America is becoming a land discourging one to be unique and different. At the same time we do our best to try to protect stupid people from themselves.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:07 pm 
Renegade

Dave I notice a lot of the same thing during my time in the Caribbean and previously in Brasil. Not necessarily better but different. Getting things done can take a LOT more patience and ability to keep good humor while dealing with bureaucratic BS (ask Krupp about that here) but I think I saw a lot of small town USA in the islands. People tend to be reserved but as Jon-boy taught me smile and introduce yourself and chat for a bit and you will find yourself among friends. On the other hand the USCG did come way out of their way to rescue me and Jon, towed us to safety instead of just taking us off the boat and sinking her in deep water. Something the French at St. Martin wouldn't do even though we were 40 miles off their coastline.

Different ways of life and it sounds like you have become acculturated - as I have I - and I can't wait to get back on my boat in the islands!

Those who leave before they are "ready" and those that never leave the slip.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:24 am 
The Macerator

No government involvement South of the border? No permits? Nope, as long as you grease the palms. Maybe corruption is preferable over bureaucracy.....not so sure myself. At least here you know what you're up against.